Sunday 14 August 2016

Intimidating Books

Recently, a friend recommended me a book that would normally be considered 'intimidating'. The book is 933 pages, in the adult genre and by Stephen King. In case you haven't guessed, the book I am speaking of is Needful Things.

However, when my friend originally recommended me this book I only knew the name, a brief synopsis and the author. I had no knowledge of the page count. Once my friend had finished explaining what the book was about, I instantly knew it was something I wanted to read. I felt excited about the book and judged it solely on its synopsis.

At this point, I went into the local bookshop, in search of Needful Things but, to my dismay, the store did not have a copy in stock. I then opted to order the book in so I could read it as soon as possible. The book arrived after a week or so and I was so eager to read it that I even dragged another one of my friends (who does not read at ALL) to the bookstore on a Saturday afternoon.

I walked up to the counter, requested my order and handed over twenty-three dollars in exchange for the book. I put the book in my bag and continued shopping with my non-reader friend before going home and eagerly opening up the brown paper bag containing Needful Things.

I then made a discovery that many teen readers would find shocking and daunting. As I do with all books I buy, I looked to the back to discover the page count. 933 pages. Wow!

I sat in my bedroom, expecting feelings of nervousness and intimidation to set in but, partially to my surprise, they did not. Over the week or so leading up to Needful Things arriving in the local bookstore I had been highly anticipating its arrival. I realised that the concept of the book and plot coupled with the prospect of my first Stephen King novel outweighed idea of a 933 page novel.

I have started Needful Things and am 86 pages in. (I received it yesterday and had to finish the book I was currently reading in order to begin.) I'm already finding it intoxicatingly brilliant and cannot wait to finish the book. When I finish, this will be the longest book I have ever read. It does not scare me at all. Needful Things is a book I want to read and it is as simple as that.

~Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment