Saturday 16 January 2016


Every Breath by Ellie Marney 

              Rachel Watts has just moved to Melbourne from the country, but the city is the last place she wants to be. James Mycroft is her neighbour, an intriguingly troubled seventeen-year-old who is also a genius with a passion for forensics. Despite her misgivings, Rachel finds herself unable to resist Mycroft when he wants her help investigating a murder. He’s even harder to resist when he’s up close and personal – and on the hunt for a cold-blooded killer. When Rachel and Mycroft follow the murderer’s trail, they find themselves in the lion’s den – literally. A trip to the zoo will never have quite the same meaning again…” – The Blurb for Every Breath.



              Every Breath by Ellie Marney is 334 pages of intense, gripping and suspenseful reading that had me holding my every breath right until the very last page. I really enjoyed reading this crime/romantic thriller that then, to my delight, I discovered was part of an amazing trilogy.

              This book completely transported me into the world of Rachel Watts and James Mycroft. The book is told in first person from Rachel’s perspective. I really enjoyed this as the character of Rachel was taking the place of Dr Watson (as the book is a modern take on Sherlock Holmes). Dr Watson is traditionally Sherlock Holmes’ assistant or sidekick. James Mycroft takes the place of Sherlock Holmes in this book. I thought it was original yet pleasing that the author wrote the series from the perspective of the sidekick as opposed to the hero; therefore making the sidekick the main character. I found this to be insightful and entertaining.

              Ellie Marney does a brilliant job of describing the scenery and characters. The series is mainly based in Melbourne, except for a trip to London in Every Word and a trip to Rachel’s old home, Five Mile, in Every Move. I found it incredible to have been to the place the book was set in. This was the first book I have read where I had that pleasure and I felt that it added to my overall enjoyment of the book. However, I felt that even if I had not been to Melbourne before I would have still had an amazing view, in my mind’s eye, of the scenery.

              The characters were detailed and original. Although this was a take off  of Sherlock Holmes Ellie Marney put her own personal spin on each character by giving them unique quirks or personality traits that made them even more lifelike. I found myself feeling the characters’ emotions, especially Rachel’s, as I read this book and series.

              My favourite thing about the writing style of this book was the fact that nothing was sugar-coated. By this I mean that the characters did have personality flaws and did, on occasion, swear. I am not saying that I always like swearing in books or by dangerous characters but I do thoroughly appreciate it when the author honestly portrays what the characters may say or do without skimming over parts that are a little rough.

              Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and series and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys crime novels, thrillers or has enjoyed reading Sherlock Holmes. I would rate this book 4.5 stars.


Review by Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment