Friday 1 January 2016


Sherlock Holmes: A Scandal in Bohemia by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

This was my first introduction to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s ‘Sherlock Holmes’ collection. This was the primary reason I felt it was necessary to write a review on the short story.

From the moment I began reading, it was the entrancing and elegant writing style which captured my attention. I loved the wording of the story and I was absolutely fascinated and delighted by the language used.

The characters of Sherlock, Watson and Irene Adler were all distinct and well detailed. I found their quirks believable and unique. I can’t wait to learn more about them as I read more in the ‘Sherlock Holmes’ collection.

The setting of historical London was beautiful and, whilst it was not a prominent part of this particular short story, I am looking forward to reading more short stories that take place in this captivating place and time period.

The only downfall of this short story was the ending as it was slightly abrupt and anticlimactic. However, this most certainly did not ruin the mystery and I still found this a particularly memorable piece of writing.

The plot was extremely interesting and intricate. Sherlock crafted a particularly complex plan which was executed flawlessly as crafted using Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s incredible writing abilities.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this short story classic and will look forward to reading more in the ‘Sherlock Holmes’ collection.



Review by Jess

(This was a shorter review as it was a short story and there was less writing to review.)

No comments:

Post a Comment